Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Custom Made Scratching Post

We ordered a beautiful new armchair for our livingroom. The style is traditional and the fabric is classic and luxurious and lots of money per yard. It's fun to wait for new furniture to arrive, and probably 10 weeks after we placed the order the new chair was delivered. I was thrilled to have a comfortable chair next to the fireplace for reading and relaxing. Early one morning my husband discovered that Gigi liked the new chair, too. She liked that way her claws felt digging into the rich fabric. On the back of the chair he showed me where she had started using the chair as a scratching post. Don't misunderstand--Gigi has a 'real' scratching post from our local pet place that she uses all the time. We tried spraying the chair with a cat repellent that's supposed to keep them away. Then my husband decided we had to drape a quilt over the back of the chair to keep her off of it. A quilt? The colors in the quilt and chair clash, and in my opinion, the quilt wouldn't do anything. It's a mental game. But the quilt's been there for months now. Last week I caught Gigi under the quilt preparing to use the chair for scratching. I clapped my hands loudly to startle her away, and she hid underneath the chair for a big 10 seconds looking at me with the expression of 'you're a lunatic, but I'll appease you since you feed me.' Good thinking Gigi.

No comments: